The creation of FacilicorpNB was announced on March 11, 2008 as a part of broader health system reforms included in the 2008-2012 Provincial Health Plan. The plan is based on the following six strategic pillars:
- Achieving a better balance between the need to promote good health and provide health care for those who are ill.
- Enhancing access to health services when, where and how they are needed.
- Improving the overall efficiency of the health-care system.
- Harnessing innovation to improve safety, effectiveness, quality and efficiency.
- Making quality count in the planning, implementation and delivery of all health-care services.
- Engaging partners in all aspects of health-care delivery.
FacilicorpNB was constituted to assume responsibility for certain non-clinical services and programs through successive transitions beginning in 2009 and ending in 2013. This process will allow the Regional Health Authorities to focus their energies on providing high quality clinical care – a process that will help build an efficient, strong and sustainable health-care system.
On April 1st, 2009, Supply Chain and Information Technology and Telecommunications departments from the Regional Health Authorities made the transition to FacilicorpNB. Fundy Linen made the transition to FacilicorpNB on January 1, 2010. A few months later, on April 1, 2010, Clinical Engineering services made the transition. The remaining hospital laundries made the transition to FacilicorpNB on April 1, 2012.